As I was blasting one of my favorite old tunes this morning, “I’m Not The Doctor” by Alanis Morissette, I was reminded of how important it is for each of us individually to be the source of our own personal inner strength and contentment. Clearly, we should be aware and caring of others around us, but we should never rely on other people’s reactions to us to feel whole and good. Clean out the negative chatter of self-loathing and on that note, as we have been working so diligently to make changes in our lives with all of our New Year’s goals / resolutions, let’s not forget to take a little time to treat ourselves. And what better time than the season of Valentine’s. You definitely don’t need a significant other to give yourself some love!
Here are some ideas to pamper yourself:
- Take a spa day. Have a massage, facial, acupuncture… whatever it takes to bring on the zen!
- Visit the salon. Get your hair cut, colored and / or styled, get a pedicure or manicure. Do something to make you look and feel your best for a day or two!
- Have an evening out with your favorite friends. Whether it be going out for drinks, attending a fun workshop, or going to a movie. Get some time with your besties who make you smile and laugh. It’s good for the soul!
- Have a special meal. Every now and again it doesn’t hurt to give yourself that tasty meal you dream about. If it’s not something you get very often, it tastes even better!
- Buy yourself a gift. Work within your budget… If you’ve been working really hard and have saved up some money, go ahead and buy something a little more extravagant. If your budget is smaller, do something a little smaller! Sometimes just buying myself a delicious coffee will make me feel like I am giving myself a treat!
The great thing about treating yourself, is you get to set the rules. You’re amazing and don’t you forget it. Treat yourself!